If you ask any Windows OS user, he will say that the Windows 10 is a best operating system by Microsoft. With the great features and fresh UI, the Windows 10 is also one of the most beautiful operating systems. The main attraction of the Windows 10 was the Start Menu. The Missing start menu did return in Windows 10, and the users rejoiced on the return. But, the Return of Start Menu came with some bugs, which made start menu buggy. That’s why many people are still facing the issues like Start Menu not working in Windows 10.
This is the common error encountered by the majority of the Windows 10 users over the world. If you are the one who is facing this error, then don’t worry! In this post, I am going to share some working methods, that’ll help you to fix start menu not working in Windows 10 error. Follow the ways we are going to share in this post and fix the annoying issue of Start Menu not working in Windows 10. You may also face problem of taskbar not working in Windows 10.
How To | Fix Start Menu Not Working in Windows 10
Restart Windows Explorer Service
The Windows Explorer service handles the Start Menu and Taskbar. In case the Start Menu or Taskbar stops working in Windows 10, you’ll have to restart the Windows Explorer service from Task Manager. Follow these steps to Restart Windows Explorer service and fix start menu not working in Windows 10.
- First of all, open the Task Manager on your Windows 10 PC by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” key combination on your keyboard.
- Now, you’ll see the Task Manager running on your desktop. Find the “Windows Explorer” process in the list of all running processes.
- Now, click on the “Windows Explorer” process to select it and click on the “Restart” button. The Restart button is located on the Lower Right corner.
- Once you restart the Windows Explorer service, check if the Start Menu is working or not. In the case of supporting service is stopped by accident or by any third party app, then this method will help you to fix start menu not working issue.
If you are still facing the issue, then follow other methods.
Also check out how to fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Problem.
Run System File Check
The System File Check is the inbuilt tool that checks for the corrupted files in your Windows 10 system. If you run System File Check, then you can fix the start menu not working in Windows 10 issue within minutes. To run the System File Check, follow the steps mentioned in this post.
- First of all, Press “Windows + X” Key combinations on your keyboard to open the pop-up option.
- Now, choose the “Command Prompt (Admin)” option. Once the UAC window appears, Press “Yes” to give Administrative privileges to the Command Prompt.
- In the command prompt, enter the following command without quotes
- Now, the Windows will check the System Files for any corruptions. The SFC scan will take few minutes to complete.
- Once it is complete, restart your computer and see if you can use the Start Menu or not. If not, then proceed to try other methods mentioned in this post.
Repair Windows Image
Fixing the Windows Image will help you to fix Start Menu not working in Windows 10 issue. The Windows Image Repair fixes the Corrupt files in the system. To perform a Windows Image repair, follow these steps.
- First of all, you’ve to open the Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges. To open the Command Prompt, Press “Windows + X” key combination on your keyboard. In the popup options, choose the “Command Prompt (Admin).”
- In the UAC window, click on “Yes” to give the Command Prompt Administrative privileges.
- Now, enter the following command in the Command Prompt without quotes and press ENTER.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- The Windows Image Repair will take few minutes to complete. You can make coffee for yourself in that time.
- Once the repair is complete, Restart the PC to see if the Start Menu is working or not. In most of the cases, the Start Menu will start working after the Windows Image Repair.
if you are still unable to access the start menu in Windows 10, then there is another option for you to follow.
Restore Windows 10 to Factory Settings
If all of the methods mentioned above are not working for you to fix start menu not working in Windows 10 issue, then you should restore Windows 10 to its factory settings. The process will restore the Windows to its factory settings by removing all the installed applications and changing to the factory settings.
- First of all, Press “Windows + L” Key combination to lock your desktop. Once locked, press any key.
- Now, Press and Hold “Shift” key and click on the “Restart” option, which is in the Lower Right corner.
- Once restarted, you’ll see the recovery options for the Windows 10.
- In the Recovery options, click on the “Troubleshoot.”
- Now, choose the “Reset this PC.” In the “Reset this PC” option, you’ll get two options. The first option will keep your personal data stored on System drive safe while restoring. And the other option will delete all the information stored on System Drive.
- Choose whichever option you are comfortable with. Choose “Keep My Files” if you have some critical data stored in System Drive and choose “Remove Everything” to clean restore.
- Once you choose any option, the Windows will show you the Warning Message. Just Click OK, and your PC will restore to factory settings after few minutes.
Now, I can bet that you are now able to access the Start Menu and fixed the issue of Start Menu not working in Windows 10.
Final Words | How to Fix Start Menu Not Working
These are the working ways to fix the non-working Start menu in Windows 10. Most of the times, you’ll not require the Windows Restore as the first three methods are enough to fix the issue within minutes. If you are still facing the problem, then the better option is to install the latest update released by Microsoft.
I hope you”’ try any of these methods to fix the start menu not working problem on the computer. If you have any doubts, then please make a comment below.